A/N: Thank you to everyone who read and commented the past two postings, you all continue to humble and stun me. I am a complete fail in replies lately, and I apologize. I will make it up to you today (at least, I think it’s a lovely compromise…more on The Giveaway momentarily). Also, I’m posting late today, later than I hoped anyway, because it has been an epic battle between myself and the formatting system of WP. I’ll give the benefit of the doubt today because it’s Christmas, and because I know that the pictures in this essay are out of this world, and maybe this site simply cannot handle it…?
Soooooo Happy Christmas Eve Eve, to all who celebrate it, and Happy Winter and end-of-year-goodness to us all. Some of us are digging ourselves out of sky-high snow banks or rowing boats down our streets in response to the copious rainfall at this time. There was only one time in memory in which my streets in my hometown actually, truly flooded and that was when I was maybe 17 years old and the flood control channels had collapsed under the weight of too much rain too fast. Californians, as laid back as we are, uh, we don’t do so well in rainy conditions, let alone floods. My very metropolitan hometown literally shut down and ceased working because people had no idea how to drive or move through flood water. So my brother hopped on his surfboard and paddled through the neighborhood scoping out routes in case of evacuation. It was surreal watching him paddle down our street in chest-high waters.
I grew up in a beach city. This wasn't at all an unusual vision. Not gonna lie, it didn't suck.
Anyhoo. Just a moment of reminiscing there. Which is what today’s Musings will be about. Today is a fond stroll in recollection, collaboration and perspective, like last week. I have decided not to do the Kristen Retrospective just yet, and instead am going to do something a teeeensy bit different: An awe-filled “roundtable” reminiscing and bonding with fellow Others.
Side note: People are so freaking talented. This pic was posted in kiarolina81‘s photos. I found it by googling “Christmas and Kristen Stewart images”.
Oh!! And we have another Giveaway! I’m so cracka-lacka excited about it, I can barely contain myself. Not even sure how to hold it together till the end but I hope to entice you with today’s contents…It’s the end of the year, it’s the season of giving and collaboration and L-O-V-E. I want to share (since Sharing IS Caring) with you all the workings of the most incredible women I have the pleasure of knowing and working with: Team Other.
Musings On Other, aka MOO– Buff and I snicker and make silly jokes of the cow variety whenever we can–is possible because I have an amazing team of ladies who support and prettify my ramblings…You lovelies and O.G. Musings Readers know that Bouffant (A Cyber Sister) and CC (KSIBTU) are the two beautiful ladies who encouraged me to step out and say hello to this crazy-beautiful fandom on Day One by publishing the very first essay on Unconventional Beauty and Royal Rebels: Molly Ringwald, Kristen and Me. And Buff, because she’s generous, kind and probably pitied me, volunteered to design a banner for my “Kristen Support Project” after I wrote her an email asking her advice on how to create an interesting ‘look’. Because these ladies have been such an essential part of Musings and my journey towards Bliss and supporting Kristen, I am giving myself the gift of conversation, reminiscing, Otherness and KStew to commemorate this First MOO Christmas. Below you’ll find the candid Musings of my fellow Team Other Captains (Bouffant, CC and Buff), recipients of my utmost gratitude and adoration….I answer some questions, but you all have already heard some of my answers either in an essay or from the incarnations of the About KJ Page.
MUSINGS ON OTHER, WITH OTHERS
Stunned? Yeah me too. Alas, it's a picture of Queen Kristen...Musing. The first of many Buff & N Collabs. Wait till you see the Giveaway.
MUSINGS ON THE FANDOM:
Q: When did you realize you had become a member/involved in the Twi/Kristen/Robert Fandom?
Bouffant**I’m pretty sure someone chloroformed me, as I cannot recall how it all happened.
CC## I guess I realized I was a member when I received my members only jacket, quite like the one Rob has. Kidding! I guess it’s when I got an influx of emails literally the day after I posted my first post. And then people were so gracious and generous in responding to my mindless ramblings. I was in awe of the reaction. So I guess I gained some readers… and they were involved… and then we became forever involved together—like one big polygamous involvement.
Buff :::I didn’t really consider myself at all in the fandom until I started writing fan fiction. If anything, I would have said I was a heavy lurker. But looking back I was enthralled for sure with the Twi world and Kristen and Rob.
KJ<>I was a supporter and reader of the books since Summer 2008. But I think I realized how deep I was when I was in Indonesia traveling to see one of the Seven Wonders of The World last summer. And while I was climbing Buddhist temples or presented with a view of paradise, I still kept checking around for a WiFi connection to see if there were any Kristen or Rob news. Seriously.
Q: What was it that first drew you to Kristen, Rob and/or Twilight?
Bouffant** The twinkle in Cedric Diggory’s eye? The cut of his robes? The way he cast a spell? I just knew Rob had ‘it’, and I’d see him again. Note: I am always right.
I was drawn to Kristen by her demeanor in the Twilight promo. I liked that she was thoughtful and earnest in interviews, but didn’t take herself seriously. There was (is) nothing false about her.
My nieces drew me to Twilight. Although if Rob and Kristen weren’t in the movies, I’m sure I would not have seen more than the first, and perhaps not even that one.
CC## Have you seen how pretty? That’s what. I looked at a picture on my TV of Vanity Fair (THE Vanity Fair) and I thought—fuck—they are too hot for their own good. Throw in a little google and the issue of In Style in 2008 and I was addicted.
Buff::: The pretty. No. seriously. I hadn’t read the books yet but kept seeing those damned commercials, and I remember thinking they were both ridiculously good looking.
KJ<> Would THIS be the pretty you’re referring to? Yes. I recall it well.
Q: When you first heard Rob Pattinson’s singing voice….you..…?
Bouffant** Did the aural equivalent of a double-take.
CC# Came? Yes I did.
Buff::: had an orgasm. Can I say that? Actually I had terrible writers block in the middle of writing Eclipsed Heart and I decided to try listening to music while I wrote – I usually needed silence to concentrate, ask my hubs he hated me when I was writing. But I thought I’d give it a go and I downloaded a bunch of his songs before I had ever listened to them, so I played those and after I pulled myself from the puddle of goo I had become the words literally flew out of my head. So his voice was a definite muse for me.
KJ<> My knees buckled. Cheeks grew hot. Mouth dropped open. Had to excuse myself from my cubicle…for…a moment…O_OoO0
Q: Best director in the Twilight Saga so far?
CC## SHUT UP. IF BUFF’S ANSWER ISN’T CATHY WE AREN’T FRIENDS ANY MORE. Obviously Catherine. She nurtured the relationship that we fell in love with. It’s the reason we love the Saga.
KJ<> uh. #TeamChattyCathy here.
Q: How has being apart of this fandom changed you?
Bouffant** I vacillate between feeling like a kid again and feeling as old and wise as Carlisle Cullen. It’s a little dizzying, to be honest… but not so bad
CC##I get the most incredible emails from people all over the world. I love it. Even if we talk only once, I love that people take the time to say hello. I have also sincerely gained some friends for life. I am such a shy person by nature—meaning I don’t like to talk to people I don’t know face to face. So all of these girls come out of nowhere and email me and we develop these relationships that surpass this ‘fandom’ and it’s real. Whereas R/K used to be our focus, it’s all very secondary now.
I care about Jamie’s niece being premature and whether or not Iris was going to get to adopt Bo. They are some of my best friends and I can’t even explain how important they are to me. My faith in humanity has been restored tenfold. Also, I spend a lot less time with normal humans because I am looking at pictures and jotting down my thoughts.
Buff::: I don’t know that its changed me. I am an introvert by nature, so if you threw all of us into a room I wouldn’t speak half (any) of the shit I tweet, write, etc. But its easier to be out going this way. One thing I have gained is more confidence in my writing. OH! Duh! AND, I learned how to use photoshop.
Q: Who in your personal/3D/Real-life knows your level of involvement in the fandom? *Big Grin*
CC## I consider my KSIBTU girls and bloggie bffs my real life. They all know. The people in my life before then? They have an idea that I like Kristen, but that’s it. It’s not a secret—they just don’t care. I’m sort of glad because I don’t want them to ruin it. I just want one thing to belong to me. I want to keep one thing sacred, and it is. I love the friends I’ve made through this experience. Honest to God, I’m so lucky.
Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. BBBBBBAhahahahahahahaha. My husband.
KJ<> I’m slowly but surely merging my 3D world with my Cyberworld/KStew/Rob/ Twi world. Outside of my Cyber Sisters and you lovely KSIBTU Girls, N knows, but doesn’t read MOO. My brother knows I write a little and admire Kristen, but his knowledge is only to an extent. My SIL Puss and my dear friend Kathryn are probably the two people in my pre-Musings world who are most aware of my involvement. They don’t judge. They join me on my quest to learn more about Kristen and Otherness, and the Featured Royal Rebels with me each week.
OUR REIGNING OTHER QUEEN:
Q: Favorite KStew movie ?
Bouffant** The Runaways
CC## Easiest question ever! #LisaPForever
Buff::: Hmmmm… I’d probably have to say Adventureland because I love that movie. But there are still KStew movies I haven’t seen (I know – for shame) So I’m going to say the jury’s still out on my fav KStew movie.
KJ<> I think…gah! That’s hard. I’m gonna go with Adventureland. Speak and The Cake Eaters were IN.CRED. WTTR and The Yellow Handkerchief shook me. But overall, it’s all about Adventureland. #JesseEisenberg #MartinStarr #ReingingQueenKristen #GIANTASSPANDA
Q: Favorite KStew interview thus far?
I refuse to answer this question. Elle UK, Entertainment Weekly, Nylon
Buff::: Elle UK
KJ<> Elle UK, Nylon, Jay Leno #HankyPankyGame
Q: Favorite KStew Quote?
Verbal: “I think it’s funny that when I go onstage to accept an award, they think I’m nervous, uncomfortable, and awkward—and I am—but those are bad words for them.”.
Non-verbal: The double-finger salute to the paps in Australia.
CC## It’s a tie between, “I feel very faithful to truth and I think when people are afraid of that, they’d rather try and feign cynicism and experience. I am not cynical but I am not naïve either. I take things for what they are,” and
“sincerity seems to be a problem today, but I prefer to be hated than be false and fool people.” She is wise beyond her years. She says what she means and she means what she says, otherwise she wouldn’t bother saying it. I appreciate that. She’s not blowing hot air.
Buff::: They’re bullets, Mofo!
KJ<> I love the quote that Bouffant picked out. So much. I also love THIS (OHai, JHiggs, my love!):
Q: Favorite KStew fashion moment (s)? Steeze?
CC## Please. Everyone knows this. I’m a broken record. Two words: The Pucci.
Buff::: I do not consider myself a fashionista by any means so I always hesitate to give my opinion on this. I can tell you what I think was pretty, weather that deems it fashionable I can’t qualify. My favorite fancy KStew look from this year is Letterman KStew, and the Eclipse LA premier because the cut of that dress? x_x Wowza.
- Favorite Holiday Movie: Double feature: Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer & It’s a Wonderful Life
- Favorite Ice cream flavor: Hand it over, don’t bother me with nonsense about flavor!
- Books I’m Reading now: Just finished Freedom by Jonathan Franzen.
- Last 3 songs listened to on my iPod: The last three songs on Come Around Sundown
- When I was 8 years old, I was good at… Successful use of Clackers without putting an eye out, counting stars, riding my bike to the top of the hill
- Favorite Holiday Movie: Love Actually
- Favorite Christmas/Hanukkah Food: I don’t have a specific favorite Christmas food. I love it all. The pasta course is probably my favorite because my aunt makes the best sauce. We also have these stuffed breads that are ridiculous. And Chanukah? LATKES FOREVERRRRRR. With applesauce, please!
- Number of Homes I’ve lived in: 8
- Three Random Facts about Me: 1. I never wear the color red; 2. I interned at the United Nations while I was in College and one day got the chance to go bowling in the White House. Swear. I have pictures!; 3. I hate carrots.
- Fan Fic that OWNS me right now: Ohhhhh KJ what a loaded question. I struggle with ff. I hate almost every story I’ve ever read, due largely in part to the ending. I also hate when people are in the midst of a juicy lemon and scream ‘IIIIII LOOOOVEEEE YOUUUUUU’ as they climax. Hey, have you ever had sex? DO YOU SCREAM THAT OUT? NO. YOU DO NOT. If the man is making you see stars, and I hope he is, you don’t talk!!!!! I also hate stories that are hardcore and then turn into fluffy bullshit after they say ‘I love you’. STOP. Love doesn’t make you brain dead and it doesn’t change who you are. Give it to me hard.So what owns me? These 4 fics are the best of the best right now, IMO. 1.) A Pound of Flesh. She is brilliant. It’s not some mushy pussy fest. It’s hot. It’s erotic, and I love this Edward. One word: peaches. UNF. 2.) True Love Way. It updates daily and it’s so poetic I want to sing. I think that TeamBella is a gift from God. Her stories will break you in the best way. Her fic Closer (and its sequel California Waiting) are two of my favorite stories ever written. 3.) The Cullen Campaign. It’s smart and sassy. And once again, it’s not lame. 4.) Dead on my Feet. It’s hard. It’s real. As someone who has seen a sick young person for so many years… I appreciate the honesty of it all, and the writer doesn’t fuck around.
from SimplyKristen's Tumblr
- Favorite Holiday Movie: White Christmas because its a classic. Elf is a close second becasue smiling is my favorite. 🙂
- Items on your fridge? Pictures of family, my kids’ art work, various magnets, dry erase/cork board with bills leering at me.
- Mood Today? Happy, Christmas is two days away!!! Fa la la la la LA LA LA LAAAAAAAAAA!!!
- Three Random Facts About Me: 1.
My wrists are double jointed – I think – I can turn my hands almost all the way around.
2. I wanted to be a veterinarian for years until I found out it consisted of more than just playing with puppies all day. 3. I used to score from midfield. (That’s what she said.) No, get your mind out of the gutter….goals. I was a sweeper with a big kick
- Fan Fic that OWNS me right now: Ugh. Yesterday I would have said TLW, which is awesome, but then I read The Plan and it is genius.
- Favorite Holiday Movie: Love Actually, A Christmas Story, It’s A Wonderful Life, Elf
- Last 3 Songs listened to on my iPod: Check the Musings playlist. Mostly Christmas, though ALL inspiring with a dash of Stevie Wonder, Joan Jett and John Lennon.
- Number of Homes I’ve lived in: 12
- Three Random Facts About Me: 1. I have dislocated both knees at least 3 times apiece. 2. I leave caps off of any bottles I open. Lots of spills in the house. 3. I am a recorded singer on a movie soundtrack.
- Fan Fic that OWNS me right now: Whoa there. Don’t get me started on FF. But since it was my question…here’s what I’ll say. 1. The Righteous and Wicked– oh fuck. As I my Sister Readers can confirm, as can @takemetobliss & @kate_suena, keep a snack or some smokes nearby for instant oral gratification while reading it. Just do it. UNF. 2. A Pound Of Flesh-I am somewhat in LOVE with Edward in this one. Ok, TOTALLY in LOVE with him. He’s one sexy mofo. 3. Full Disclosure–falling in emo love…my friend @MissBettySmith takes you there. 4. Starry Eyed Inside — I will read anything written by Rochelle Allison. She is poetry. 5. Tunes with Tony Masen is climbing up there. Different, intelligent, part mystery, part adventure, ALL unresolved sexual tension.
Musings On Other:
Q: How do you see Kristen embodying her Otherness?
Bouffant** I have never witnessed a young woman so steadfastly withstand an onslaught of energetic opinion and judgment (pretty much all of which ultimately has little to do with her by the way) and remain confident… and, at the same time, humble. Being inside herself, and having (because of her youth) somewhat limited life experience, she probably does not realize how inspiring that is.
CC## Kristen is unapologetic and authentic. She owns everything she does, and that is a lot more than most of us can say right now.
Buff::: Her honesty. That’s the simplest way to put it. She is honest in her words and actions no matter what the popular opinion, and I admire that.
Q: One word or phrase that describes the Other Beauties at this “roundtable”
Bouffant says** Bouffant= Hairy ;; Buff= Picturesque;; CC= Merry (Krismas!);; KJ= Tender
CC says## Bouffant= Brave;; Buff= Generous;; CC= Idiot;; KJ= Enchanting
Buff says::: Bouffant= I’m sad because I don’t know Bouffant as well as I’d like..yet;; Buff= _____;; CC= Beautifully Witty;; KJ= Altruistic-compassionate heart and soul
KJ says<> Bouffant= charmingly clever;; Buff= overwhelmingly talented;; CC=gloriously brilliant;; KJ= stumbling forth
Q: How have you embraced YOUR Other?
Bouffant** With gusto and perhaps tipsily
CC## I am me. This is who I am. Take it or leave it. I love myself (most days), and that’s not an easy thing to do.
Buff::: I do my best to hold my confidence and not let outside pressure sway me.
KJ<>I would accept the homecoming queen nomination if it were offered to me today, instead of decline it and slink away as I did over a decade ago. That’s a HUGE concession.
HOLIDAY MOO MASHUP GIVEAWAY
Ok so I seriously was debating on keeping these prints to myself because I can’t stop staring. But I want to share them with you lovely Readers because you all appreciate and support our Reigning Other Queen Kristen, as well as the pursuit of Bliss and Creativity. Also, you, like me, think that Kristen is Royalty, and that Buff and N (my husband) are a geniuses with what they do (this means they’re both artistically gifted and they both tolerate me. Takes a lot of patience and goodness to do both). And you know what? I agree. So without further ado…Here are the first ever Musings On Other Photo Prints featuring the Blissful collaboration between my lovely, insanely talented husband N and his photography and the brilliant and PATIENT photo editor and visionary, Buff82. Collaborating in the name of Perspective, Bliss and Otherness.
Dude. I know. I KNOOOOWWW. Have you collapsed in utter (or udder #MOOHumor courtesy of Buff) astonishment? When Buff first sent me the proofs, I burst into tears. N looked over at me and then the laptop and said, “Wow.” About his own work! But also because he clearly admires, as do I, the way that Buff took these pictures and made them transcend. A cool piece of knowledge: there are more where these came from. I have at least three other MOO MASHUPS (Buff & N Collabs) to share with you. We’ll see the other Mashups in the next few weeks. I have to share them. I MUST.
Here’s how you become eligible to choose 1 of these 3 photography prints (8×10, matted)…Just pick at least 3 of the questions that Team Other answered above and give your own answers in the comment section below! Easy! You can tell me what you thought when you heard Rob’s singing for the first time, or what your favorite KStew Steeze moment was. Or you can share how you’re spending these holidays, or how you’ve embraced Other in your own life…The possibilities are endless!
I have truly, truly enjoyed having the conversations with Bouffant, CC and Buff resulting in the candid and wonderfully honest answers above, and I look forward to hearing YOUR Musings On Other too. Until next week, take care of yourselves, continue to seek and celebrate yours and OTHERS’ Unconventional Beauty. Stay safe and enjoy your time with your beloveds during this holiday weekend…. Always Yours, KJ
- Merging the fragments: An Indonesian Wayang Puppet (shadow) & Christmas
WE ARE OTHER.
KRISTEN IS OTHER.
OTHERS KNOW THAT UNCONVENTIONAL IS BEAUTIFUL.
EMBRACE YOUR OTHER.
A/N: I’ll announce 2 winners for the Giveaway next week. Winners have their choice of one of the three prints featured above.
*Give some lovin to Buff at her Twitter @Buff_82 and/or N via email: Kinophotography@gmail.com for their blissful collaboration.
*Thanks for holding the space for Bouffant, Buff, CC and I to jabber about the great things in this world–ice cream, Chatty Cathy and Kristen Stewart. *Let @Bouffant00, @Buff_82 and @Kstewsbtrthanu know if you reacted to their Musings on Twitter…